PM Accused of insulting Quebec (oh geez not again)

Started by Sportsdude, Jun 26 06 10:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

PM Accused of insulting Quebec

Refusal to call province a nation draws ire of Bloc, PQ, but PMO stands by comments

Steven Chase and Andre Picard

Globe and Mail

Ottawa and Montreal - Prime Minister Stephen Harper's refusal to call Quebec a nation has given political rivals a weapon they've been seeking to chip away at Conservative fortunes in the hotly contested province.  Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe accused Mr. Harper of insulting Quebeckers. "If I went to Ottawa next Friday, on the eve of July 1, and I refused to recognize the existence of the Canadian nation, that would be an enormous scandal, and rightfully so," he said.

Mr. Harper was drawn into the debate about Quebec's nationhood during a Quebec City trip on the eve of the province's politically charged St. Jean Baptiste Day holiday.

He was asked by local reporters whether he considered Quebec a nation -- a question the Parti Québécois and Bloc Québécois had challenged him to answer.

Mr. Harper dodged the query, saying he respects the Quebec legislature's declaration that Quebec is a nation, but felt Ottawa has no need to enter the debate. "I don't know, quite frankly, what its legal significance is," he said, adding later that "it just seems to me to be a semantic debate that doesn't serve any purpose."

The comments were pounced upon by the Bloc, which has been looking for a wedge issue that hurts the Tories ever since the separatist party lost ground to the Conservatives in the Jan. 23 election.

The Tories are hunting more seats in Quebec by promising to rectify the so-called fiscal imbalance of wealth between Ottawa and the provinces, cleaning up federal politics and giving Quebec City a bigger voice on the international stage.

The Bloc's provincial allies, the Parti Québécois, said Mr. Harper's comments show he's ignorant of Quebec culture and history. "I'm disappointed to see that Mr. Harper is incapable of looking Quebeckers in the eyes and recognizing who they really are," PQ Leader André Boisclair said this weekend.

While he wasn't criticizing Mr. Harper, Quebec Premier Jean Charest, a federalist, left no doubt about where he stood.

"As Premier of Quebec I want to say loud and clear that we form a nation," he said at Montreal City Hall on Saturday. "The fact that we are a people and a nation doesn't contradict in any way the fact that we are also Canadian citizens."

The Prime Minister's Office said Mr. Harper's comments stand. "I can tell you that Quebeckers know who they are, they don't need us to tell them," said Sandra Buckler, spokeswoman for Mr. Harper. "What they want is to be respected, and that is exactly what our Conservative government is doing. Mr. Boisclair is panicking because Quebeckers don't want another referendum due to our approach of a federalism of openness."

New Democratic Party Leader Jack Layton, in Quebec for St. Jean Baptiste Day on Saturday, said he's disappointed that Mr. Harper can't call Quebeckers a nation, in part because he thinks it would help assuage separatist feelings. "It's not a hard or challenging observation to make and it corresponds to historical realities."

Political analysts said Mr. Harper has little to gain by publicly declaring that Quebec is a nation because it risks angering his base in Western Canada, or even rock-ribbed federalists inside Quebec.

"Engaging a national debate on Quebec's role in Canada is a no-win for Stephen Harper outside of the province of Quebec," said Allan Gregg, pollster and chair of the Strategic Counsel.

Mr. Harper should have expected the question would arise when he staged a cabinet retreat in Quebec's capital city the day before the province's national holiday, said Peter Donolo, the Strategic Counsel's executive vice-president.

"He was clearly trying [to] exploit symbolism, so he shouldn't be too surprised when the symbolism comes around and smacks him in the head," Mr. Donolo said.

The Tories boosted their Quebec electoral support to 25 per cent in the 2006 election, from 9 per cent in 2004. An early June Strategic Counsel poll indicated Conservative support had held steady since Jan. 23.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Dictionary:

Nation:

1.  relatively large group of people organized under a single, usually independent government; a country.

- Quebec is not an independent state

2.  The government of a sovereign state.

- See #1

3.  A people who share common customs, origins, history, and frequently language; a nationality

- Yes Quebec is a 'nation' in that respect but then the chinese community in Vancouver could also be called a 'nation' because they share common customs, orgins, history and language.  Newfoundland is part of 3A and I don't see Newfies calling for seperation and they are more nationalistic the Quebec.

Quit your whinning.  BQ is a failed idea anyway thats borderline racist. Remember they blamed the ethnic vote on losing the last referendum. Typical.  You know down here in the U.S. Texas is a lot like Quebec.  Whiney, stuck up and rude.      

weird al

The next step for Quebec will be to sue the rest of Canada for its failure to exhibit sufficient deference to a "nation" of its stature. Of course Quebec is a "nation." And I'm Genghis Khan.

Sportsdude

The PQ is degrading the word 'nation' everytime they use it to the point that right wing kooks down here have basically destroyed the word marriage.

(Even though they'd like to say it was the liberals who are destroying it. Okay Fox News whatever, last time I checked that E.D. girl who spouts nuclear waste in the mornings on Fox and Friends has been married THREE TIMES!! GOLD DIGGER!!! So much for sanctity of marriage)

Sportsdude

Here's that witch I was talking about:

[img height=500 alt="" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/HillGoingPlaces.jpg" width=331 border=0]

From Wikipedia:

She has been married three times and is the mother of eight children.

She obviously doesn't believe in birth control.