A little too happy?

Started by TehBorken, Jun 23 06 08:39

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h2 class="headlineblack"][font style="font-weight: normal; font-family: Verdana;" size="2"]This guy looks awfully happy, but then he did just shoot his ex-wife and a family court judge, so I guess it's understandable. [/font]
[/h2][hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][h2 class="headlineblack"]Suspect In Judge Shooting Surrenders[/h2][h1 class="subhead_story"]Fugitive Accused Of Slaying His Wife, Shooting Nevada Family Court Judge[/h1]RENO, Nev., June 23, 2006

(AP) A wealthy former pawn shop owner wanted in the death of his estranged wife and the sniper shooting of a judge was arrested in Mexico, authorities said Friday.

Darren Mack was arrested late Thursday in the Pacific coast resort city of Puerto Vallarta, U.S. Ambassador Tony Garza said in a statement released by the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.

"The arrest of accused killer Darren Roy Mack proves that criminals cannot find a safe haven on either side of the border," Garza said. Washoe County District Attorney Dick Gammick confirmed Mack, 45, was in custody but would not elaborate on the arrest.

On Thursday, Gammick said Mack had arranged to turn himself in at the U.S. consulate in Puerto Vallarta but had failed to show up.

Mack was charged with murder in the death of his estranged wife, whose body was found in a pool of blood in his town house garage on June 12. The same day, Family Court Judge Chuck Weller was shot in the chest as he stood near his courthouse office window.

Weller, who survived the shooting and has been recovering under guard at an undisclosed location, had been handling the couple's divorce case. No charges have yet been filed in his shooting.

The FBI added Mack to its list of "Most Wanted" fugitives Tuesday, the same day Charla Mack, 39, was buried.

He was considered armed and dangerous, "with access to all types of weapons," FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III said. A search warrant affidavit said officers found several boxes of ammunition and an empty gun case with a receipt for a Bushmaster .223-caliber rifle equipped with a laser sighting device at Mack's town house.

Mack was a co-owner of Palace Jewelry & Loan Co. Inc., a pawn shop, until he turned over control in 2005 to his mother, a lawyer for the business said. He had a net worth of $9.4 million as recently as 2004, according to court documents.

Weller released a statement Thursday, saying: "It is our greatest hope that no further bloodshed occur in this matter."

"We sincerely hope that law enforcement is successful in bringing this matter to a peaceful conclusion," the judge said

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Some Chick

Surprising how much ugliness can be hidden behind a pretty face.

Gopher

Surprising how often this is the case, too.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Some Chick

True dat.

One of the reasons that I really need to get "pretty boys" off of my radar.

Gopher

I think this works for both sexes - pretty women can often be bad news too. Inward and outward beauty all too rarely coalesce.

Adam_Fulford

People become obsessed and fixated.  A combination of factors -- could be brain chemistry (or a brain tumour), a major loss of perspective, environmental toxins, who knows -- can culminate in a murderous rage.  As for criminal impulses hidden behind "pretty faces," remember Ted Bundy?  

Gopher

Remember George Bush?

kitten

I'm not ready to call G.Bush a pretty face.  Not unless I lower my standards of beauty.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Which, ma'am, I suppose are no less beautiful than thine owne godeselfe.

As for GB, I was just trying to make the point that his face isn't as ugly as his policies - far be it from me to think him good-looking.    

kitten

Well above that standard, thank you.

Some Chick

I never found Bundy attractive.  I wouldn't have looked twice but the way he suckered his victims is beyond scary.  I can certainly see myself helping a guy in a cast get his books into a car... Or let me rephrase that... I COULD have seen myself doing that.  I wouldn't now.

And THAT sucks.

kitten

That's so true.  The urge to be a good Samaritan is still there, but restrained by fear.  What an ugly world this has become, or was it always there but hidden?

Some Chick

I don't hold out much hope when people in my own building won't hold the door open for me when I'm loaded down with bags of groceries.  As if I am going to break in so that I can fill someone's apartment with food and then run away.

*Insert eyeball rolling here.*

Adam_Fulford

People in my building are always holding doors for each other.  All polite and friendly.

TehBorken

Some Chick wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]As if I am going to break in so that I can fill someone's apartment with food and then run away.[/div]  Oh yeah, that's a classic burgular trick. I can't tell you how many times I've come back only to find they broken in and restocked my Pop-Tarts, but those bastards always leave the chocolate-frosted kind and not the blueberry ones that I like.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.