Oilers Lost!!! :(((

Started by Lise, Jun 20 06 08:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

What a sad, sad day..................... the Cup will not go back to Canada this year. *sigh*
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

*sighs* again......3 to 1.......

Lise

Tell me about it, purelife. I just turned off my telly after the second half. Too depressed.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

It was all over front page of everything..... I saw the last bit of the ending and that was it.

Lise

Well, it's not meant to be for us this year. Maybe next year. *fingers crossed*
Bill Cosby.

purelife

I don't really pay attention to sports that much.  Though, I have been watching bits of the World Cup on tv during lunch these days.  It's fun.

Some Chick

Once the Canucks deliver their yearly disappointment, I'm done.

Dissident

What I don't understand is why people care that much in Vancouver.  I've been to my share of Oilers games at GM Place and Vancouver fans hate them worse than the Flames—until all of a sudden they make the playoffs?

A friend of mine here who is a life-long Vancouverite, former minor league hockey player and Canucks fan from the very beginning did not root for the Oilers—citing how, when they played the Canucks back in the glory days when the Oilers were winning Cup after Cup and the Canucks were hopeless, they used to run up the score and their stats at the Canucks' expense.  That's just bad form.

Canadian team, schmanadian team.  They're still a bunch of bums.

I told a friend of mine right before the finals that it looked like '94 all over again.  The Canucks were 16th-seeded going into the playoffs and the Rangers were #1.  The fact that they made it to a Game 7 was a miracle, but the better team actually did win.  The fact that the Rangers were used to playing the crappy ice in the Garden also helped.  What did you get this year?  The Oilers barely made the playoffs, whereas the Hurricanes were second in their conference.  It's admirable how the Oilers scrapped their way to Game 7, but with the game played on the Hurricanes' home ice (warm weather, bouncing pucks and all) it was almost a foregone conclusion.

What bothered me the most is that, now that the hockey season is over, I like to enjoy my baseball.  It's usually pretty rare for me to get to see my team on TV here in Vancouver, and one of their games was scheduled on Sportsnet last night.  I had been looking forward to this for quite a while.  Instead of showing the baseball game, though, they spent three hours pissing and moaning about how the Oilers lost the Cup.  Look, I can see 30-45 minutes of that, but to essentially pre-empt an entire baseball game for the cry-fest was just stupid.  Maybe I'm the only disappointed baseball fan in the Lower Mainland, but that definitely did not make my night.

So, to be perfectly honest, I don't give a rat's ass about the frickin' Oilers . . .  and I think Sportsnet sucks.

fenec rawks!

Marik

Kind of disappointing to see them lose, but.. at least my friends owe me some bubble tea now! ^_^ ... and now for the World Cup...

Lise

Well, Dissident..... you're entitled to your opinions. I don't watch hockey as much but I'll root for anyone that will represent Canada.

Then again, I'm all for looking out for those gorgeous hockey players.
Bill Cosby.

Jess Moose

Yeah, um...baseball is that game they play in the USA..(and TO). Hockey means way more to Canada than friggin' boring ass "non-contact" lame baseball. As for the Hurricanes, a big congrats! The Carolina Hurricanes only did so well because there is such a large Canadian content on the team!    

tenkani

[font style="font-family: Arial Black;" size="5"]Shark Attack!!![/font]

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

The Cup hasn't been in Canada in 13 years, by now the cup has applied for U.S. citzenship.  Bettman is happy, he's anti canadian teams and it was his idea to put teams in the south.  If there was a differnt guy running the NHL there would still be the Jets, Nordiques, and a team in Hamilton, Ontario and maybe even Halifax.  This can all be achieved now with the 'new nhl' rules i.e. salary cap. The little guys are profitable now. If this was the old NHL Edmonton would not have Pronger or Peca on its team.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Dissident

If this were the old NHL Peca would still be playing for the Sabres.  
fenec rawks!

kingy

Dissident wrote:
If this were the old NHL Peca would still be playing for the Sabres.  

If this were the old NHL, i think buffalo would of been moved or folded. them and a few other teams.