KFC sued over trans fat issue

Started by Lise, Jun 14 06 06:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_Fulford

007 wrote:
While it's fair to ask to know the contents of the food that you order in a restaurant, a lot of it is common sense as well. I have a hard time believing that a person who eats at KFC would be surprised to find that the food is high in trans fat!

Why would most consumers know about trans fats in KFC foods, when it is not a widely taught knowledge, and KFC/McDonalds spread misinformation that their so-called food is nutritious?

I doubt most people even know what trans fat is, never being aware that KFC and McDonalds food is full of the disease-causing toxin.  The nature of the havoc they wreak on people is not widespread knowledge, suffice to say it is a known carcinogen linked to various horrible diseases such as breast cancer, brain tumours, Alzhemer's disease, and heart disease (what's bad for the heart is bad for the brain).  Trans fats perform freaky molecular physics on your flesh. Would you like to poison a child with that? Just give the child a cookie.  No wonder so many kids are so messed-up.

Trans fat is not the same as plain fat.  Trans fat is molecularly altered and rarely occurs in nature.  It should be outlawed.

P.C.

You don't need to be a scientist to know that fast food/convenience foods aren't healthy.....period.

(don't get me wrong, I indulge once in a while), but I'm not deluding myself that I'm doing my health any favours.  If anyone hasn't figured this out by now, without the assistance of government legislation.......

Why don't they just publish pictures of clotted arteries, globs of fat encased hearts etc. on the waxed paper wrappers of such foods.  rofl
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Adam_Fulford

Once, in a restaurant in China, I ordered "xiezi", thinking that I was ordering egglplant -- "quiezi".  But I was served a plate of fried scorpions. I just ate it. Quite crunchy.  Anyway, I was just thinking that a plate of fried scorpions is a lot healthier and safer to eat than the toxic crap they serve at McD/KFC.  

Sportsdude

One time in a St. Louis area KFC a customer found a fried roosters head in her meal.  They showed the fried head on tv and I have never been the same since.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Adam_Fulford wrote:
Why would most consumers know about trans fats in KFC foods, when it is not a widely taught knowledge, and KFC/McDonalds spread misinformation that their so-called food is nutritious?

I bet if more and more consumers are made aware of how harmful trans fat can be, there'd be a hell more public pressure to get rid of it. The stupid part is nobody wants to know about these hidden dangers because the powers that be have the money and the man-power to persuade otherwise.

I remember the time when KFC was trying to promote how 'healthy' it is but I don't think the public bought that. Nobody in their right mind will think frying chicken is healthy.

As for McDonalds - at one point, they make a great hullaballo about getting rid of trans fat from their oil but a year later, they sneak trans fat back without the public knowledge. That's McDonalds for you.

I doubt most people even know what trans fat is, never being aware that KFC and McDonalds food is full of the disease-causing toxin.  The nature of the havoc they wreak on people is not widespread knowledge, suffice to say it is a known carcinogen linked to various horrible diseases such as breast cancer, brain tumours, Alzhemer's disease, and heart disease (what's bad for the heart is bad for the brain).  Trans fats perform freaky molecular physics on your flesh. Would you like to poison a child with that? Just give the child a cookie.  No wonder so many kids are so messed-up.

[/DIV]Trans fat is not the same as plain fat.  Trans fat is molecularly altered and rarely occurs in nature.  It should be outlawed.

The fact is it will take a long time for result of trans fat to do harm in ppl. Like the tobacco companies, you're fighting against corporations with tons of power and money. I do see lawsuits happening in the future but then it might be too late by then to those who suffered.

Bottom line as Adam points out, trans fat should be outlawed. There are better alternatives out there and corporations and government do have responsibilities to keep the public safe.

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lise

Here's what you can do to avoid trans fat as much as possible:   [H3]Fat Tips[/H3] Here are some practical tips you can use every day to keep your consumption of saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol low while consuming a nutritionally adequate diet.

[UL class=mainlist] [LI]Check the Nutrition Facts panel to compare foods because the serving sizes are generally consistent in similar types of foods. Choose foods lower in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol. For saturated fat and cholesterol, keep in mind that 5 percent of the daily value (%DV) or less is low and 20 percent or more is high. (There is no %DV for trans fat.)  [LI]Choose alternative fats. Replace saturated and trans fats in your diet with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. These fats do not raise LDL cholesterol levels and have health benefits when eaten in moderation. Sources of monounsaturated fats include olive and canola oils.  [LI]Sources of polyunsaturated fats include soybean oil, corn oil, sunflower oil and foods like nuts and fish.  [LI]Choose vegetable oils (except coconut and palm kernel oils) and soft margarines (liquid, tub, or spray) more often because the amounts of saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol are lower than the amounts in solid shortenings, hard margarines, and animal fats, including butter.  [LI]Consider fish. Most fish are lower in saturated fat than meat. Some fish, such as mackerel, sardines, and salmon, contain omega-3 fatty acids, which are being studied to determine if they offer protection against heart disease.  [LI]Choose lean meats, such as poultry without the skin and not fried and lean beef and pork, not fried, with visible fat trimmed.  [LI]Ask before you order when eating out. A good tip to remember is to ask which fats are being used in the preparation of your food when eating or ordering out.  [LI]Watch calories. Don't be fooled! Fats are high in calories. All sources of fat contain 9 calories per gram, making fat the most concentrated source of calories. By comparison, carbohydrates and protein have only 4 calories per gram. [/LI][/UL] To keep your intake of saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol low:

[UL class=mainlist] [LI]Look at the Nutrition Facts panel when comparing products. Choose foods low in the combined amount of saturated fat and trans fat and low in cholesterol as part of a nutritionally adequate diet.  [LI]Substitute alternative fats that are higher in mono- and polyunsaturated fats like olive oil, canola oil, soybean oil, corn oil, and sunflower oil. [/LI][/UL] Source: [A href="http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2003/503_fats.html"]http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2003/503_fats.html[/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

CK

KFC is garbage! All fast food is. Stay Away from garbage and garbage won't won't be in your blood! Simple!

P.C.

Exactly !  Couldn't have said it better myself.  (lawwd knows I was trying).

(Hi CK...[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c010.gif" border=0])

P.C.

It seems to me, that with the billions of dollars spent on studying these things, for every thing they tell you is GOOD for you, someone will counter it with why it's BAD for you.  Salmon (seafood in general) contains all sorts of healthy nutrients, but is high in cholesterol.  Strike the salmon.  Eggs (once considered 'the perfect food') is also high in cholesterol.  Strike the eggs.  Vegetables..... how can you knock veggies.  Well some have tried....can carry salmonella.  Strike the veggies.

Dairy......once considered to be rich in calcium to build strong bones and teeth.  Now they say cow's milk and other dairy products are behind an array of illnesses, including cancers, heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis and obesity according to some doctors. Strike the dairy.

Meat.....one day beef is good for you, the next it's not.  Red meat, white meat, pink meat ????? Don't cook your food on the grill....it causes cancer.  Strike the summer time.

The list is endless....coffee...good/coffee bad.  Wine good/wine bad..................Bahhhhhh!!!!!!

I figure I've exchanged anguishing over every mouthfull, for a more stress free existance....that's got to be good for me.    

tenkani

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]I'm thinking it would be far more effective to legislate stupidity.  It's simply a matter of awareness.  It's already legislated that ingredients must be listed.....the choice then becomes the consumers.[/span]

I'm afraid I have to weigh in on Miss P.C.'s side here. The question isn't whether this type of food is unhealthy, it's whether the government has the right to make it illegal, and there is a world of difference. While we may all agree that KFC food is shitty for your health, they aren't breaking any laws and they are abiding by the rules of supply and demand. North Americans demand crappy, high-fat foods and KFC supplies them.

I'm not a big fan of the slippery slope argument, but if we start banning things like trans fat using the argument that the public is too ignorant to choose their own foods, it would only make sense to also ban cigarettes, as their negative effects are well known. And then perhaps alcohol.

As has already been touched on, public education campaigns seem to make a lot more sense than government bans on food products IMO. I don't see why our freedom of choice should end when it comes to dietary issues. I say citizens should have the right to make the wrong choice, even if it ends up shortening their lives.

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

P.C.

I'm afraid I have to weigh in on Miss P.C.'s side here.

Don't be afraid, tenkani.  [img title=Realbighug alt=Realbighug src="http://forum.digital-digest.com/images/smilies/1/realbighug.gif" border=0]

P.C.

tenkani wrote: The question isn't whether this type of food is unhealthy, it's whether the government has the right to make it illegal, and there is a world of difference.

THAT'S MY SENTIMENTS IN A NUTSHELL !!!

The government seems to be filling in the gaps where our common sense used to be.....basically they are thinking FOR us.  I don't know about anyone else, but that's a frightening direction to me.

kitten

If we were to respond to every negative study on different foods, we would eventually have to lock ourselves in a cellar, (sunlight is bad for you, too) and starve since there would be nothing safe to eat.  I try to eat nutritious food, but I refuse to obsess over every mouthful.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

tenkani

The only advice that never seems to change is eat in moderation and get lots of exercise.
Live by that and you will probably be Ok regardless of diet fads and shifting scientific opinion.
Argh! All this food talk is killing me but I'm going to hold out until noon!!  

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

kitten

Poor starving tenkani!  At least chomp on a dry noodle to tide you over to lunch time.    
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.