OMG I Love Vancouver!

Started by Future Canadian, Jun 16 06 12:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

I'm always delighted when people refer to secret places, the knowledge that others also have them gives me a warm glow inside... hope for humantity yet! May we keep them, love them, cherish them - we belong to them, as much as they belong to us.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

I was a courier for many years, and on an extended weekend I used to go across the line and wander wherever I felt like until it was time to come back.  Taking the coastal road wherever possible down through Oregon was one of my favourite drives.  And Chuckanut Drive down past Bellingham was another.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

P.C.

Chuckanut Drive was like driving through a fairytale of enchanted forests.  You could almost sense that just off the beaten path, faeries and wee folk would be close by.  There was another stretch we went through that was magical and mystical, but be darned if I can remember the name.  The whole Olympic National Park was spectacular.  There were parts that felt more like being in another time, than another place.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kitten

Another wonderful drive was through the redwood forest north of San Francisco.  The only word I can think of is majestic.  The trees seemed to go on forever and it was hard to believe that anything could grow that tall.

P.C.

That's it, Kitten.  Although, it wasn't the size of the trees that struck me....it was the tiny 'settlements' sprinkled throughout, in such unexpected areas that looked so cozy and storybook-like.

My friend can't fathom why I don't have the desire to vacation in some of the places that she loves.  She adores Cabo San Lucas (???).  Went once...had a great time, but has a 'been there...seen it....end of story' feeling for me.  3 or 4 blocks of American resorts fronting impoverished neighbourhoods.

My dream vacation would be a month in Washinton DC to explore the Smithsonian.  Keep the tropics....lol.  

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
My dream vacation would be a month in Washinton DC to explore the Smithsonian.

Ack. I was born there, and going back for a month would be about 30 days too long. The Smithsonian is probably about the best place to go there, bar none. I used to go there often, but even it couldn't draw me back.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kitten

The Smithsonian, the National Art Gallery, and slums are what I remember of Washington, D.C.  I was shocked by the juxtaposition of great wealth and stark poverty.

P.C.

I know next to nothing of the rest of it....I only have my sights set on the Smithsonian. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/traurig/a010.gif" border=0]

kitten

It's well worth it.  It will take at least a month to appreciate all the things they've collected over the years.

Darn!  It's starting to rain, and I have to get ready for work.  Ciao for now.

Dissident

P.C. wrote:
I know next to nothing of the rest of it....I only have my sights set on the Smithsonian. [img style="cursor: pointer;" onclick="url(this.src);" src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/traurig/a010.gif[/img]

I have absolutely nothing against the Smithsonian—after all, my brother designed one of the exhibits in the Air and Space Museum so it can't be all bad—but given the choice I'd spend my time in the National Gallery.  That place, the Met (and NY's other galleries) and the Scaife Gallery at Carnegie-Mellon in Pittsburgh put most of the West Coast's museums to shame.

Usually less crowded than the Smithsonian, too.  Oh yeah, whatever you do, don't drive in DC—between the moronic freeway system and the potholes you'll go crazy.  Only place I know that rivals the PA and NJ turnpikes for transportational idiocy in the US.

fenec rawks!

Sportsdude

Speaking of Meth heads one was wondering around my house and nieghbourhood last night at around 2am.  Was about to call the cops.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Orik

i live here whats so great about it .  one day soon i will get to seattle .  i do love oak harbour and decption pass . south skagit burlington is a nice place too .  
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.