Oh God, this is so sad . . .

Started by Dissident, Jun 16 06 02:21

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Dissident wrote:  Gay neighbours of mine here hang rainbow flags on their living room walls, but not in their windows or on their balconies, because they're "afraid of being shot at", as they put it.

The story you posted is heart wrenching.

But if I may twist this topic a bit......I have to say, although I have ZERO problem with homosexuality, I've never understood the need to 'celebrate' my sexuality with parades, banners and flags.  To hang a flag on my balcony to announce what I'm doing in the bedroom is ludicrous to me.   This is contradictory to the live and let live philosophy.....it's seems more of an 'In your FACE' action that does nothing to serve their right to live harmoniously in society.  

The whole 'Gay Pride' thing is annoying to me....pride should come from how you live in society....are you thoughtful, kind, helpful, ambitious, compassionate, hard working etc ? These are the qualities one could feel proud of.....not from something that  is merely a 'genetic difference'.   Spending more time becoming a great human being would be be far more beneficial than 'challenging' (demanding) that the world accept you on nothing more than being gay.  I've never had a sense of pride derived from being nothing more than heterosexual.....what a strange expectation.

I wonder if I'm alone with this thought.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

You're not. In fact I very often wonder if the whole Gay Pride thing isn't counter-productive.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Thanks Gophie.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c015.gif" border=0]

TehBorken

I agree. As gopher said, no, you're not.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kitten

You have my vote too, P.C.  I think it started as a pendulum swing from the bad old repressive and hostile attitudes toward homosexuality, but the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction.  The day it is taken for granted without any fanfare is the best signpost of all that we are created equal.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Adam_Fulford

Dissident wrote:
Just found this one in the Guardian.  I hear so much homophobia coming from people in their 20s these days that it saddens me to think that something like this can still happen.   My professional life has led me to have a lot of gay friends, and it worries me that society seems to be moving backwards on this issue--or it may be that homophobia is less frowned upon here in Canada, I'm not in a position to tell.

[FONT color=#000000][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]Barman killer had been released early[/SPAN][BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]Friday June 16, 2006
Guardian Unlimited

One of two men jailed for life for the murder of a barman in an attack motivated by "homophobic thuggery" had been released from prison early, police said today.[/FONT]

> snip

[FONT color=#0000bf]It is sad, but it is not surprising.  Backwards governments such as that of dictator George W. Bush and Adolph Hitler and medieval European societies before that have, one way or another, criminalized homosexuality.  Bush's government is even striving to engrave bigotry against gays and lesbians into America's very constitution, stating that they can't legally be married.  Mentally deficient and philosophically retrograde people still use homophobic taunts as put-downs.  I almost feel like a minority as a straight male involved in the entertainment industry, in which a disproportionate number of society's most talented and creative people are homosexual, many of whom I count as friends.  [/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000bf]Deliberately harming others is a moral crime.  Homosexuality isn't.[/FONT]

Sportsdude

Well I'm not suprised as I said before, the religious right here supports bombing abortion clincs.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Kitten wrote:  The day it is taken for granted without any fanfare is the best signpost of all that we are created equal.

Well said, Kitten.  

Orik

accidents happen, . well for those bastards i pray they meet one horrific accident . namely a fall from about 10000 feet up with out a chute .... damn courts are way to lax.  
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.