Crows -- A Magnificent and Majestic Bird

Started by Adam_Fulford, Jun 10 06 09:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_Fulford

Crows are my favorite birds. They are highly intelligent and resourceful.  I consider them to be kindred spirits, since I am of the Crow Clan, and I revere them.

Moolah!

Does that mean you're expecting birds of a feather to be flocking to this thread? [A onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile_shy.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]
*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

Adam_Fulford

Fish of a scale and wolves of a fur are welcome, too.

A good crow

Lise

Not me. I used to like them until they started to 'attack' in my front yard. Apparently one of their chicks tried to fly from the nest and could not take off the ground. It settled near some bushes and the frantic parents were trying to protect it. Since I could not risk the birds attacking as I have a toddler, we had to resort to using a broom and shooing the young bird out of the yard with the parents swooping in and out.

Not fun when it's mating/breeding season. Most of these birds hang around our neighborhood because of the trees. You kinda have to duck and watch your head everytime you cross the streets.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

AF, go watch THE CROW movie.  Buy the DVD if you have not done so.  

Trollio

Lise wrote:
 [div style="font-style: italic;"]Not me. I used to like them until they started to 'attack' in my front yard. Apparently one of their chicks tried to fly from the nest and could not take off the ground. It settled near some bushes and the frantic parents were trying to protect it. Since I could not risk the birds attacking as I have a toddler, we had to resort to using a broom and shooing the young bird out of the yard with the parents swooping in and out.[/div]

What would you do if a 50-foot nephil attacked your toddler with a broom?

Anyway, I get your point, but I've lived that close to them too, and while it can be less than optimal when you are working away on something cerebral and a crow outside your window has decided that it is his time to caw... and caw... and caw... still they are admirably intelligent and mischievous birds. Don't ever put anything blue, small and shiny in your yard. It will be gone quickly. They can also recognise us individually. They are extremely family-oriented, and they have regular meetings with extended family (uncles,  aunts, cousins), which is rare in the animal world.

Speaking of birds in general, one of the funniest (and noblest) things I've ever seen was when a falcon had all the birds in the area scared to death one day. The crows were chasing it, the jays were screeching, but the falcon just kept hanging about, moving from tree to tree. Quite a noisy afternoon it was. Finally it was a tiny little sparrow that attacked the falcon, and for some odd reason, that was was sent it out into the clouds and saved all the other birds.

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Lise

What would [SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]you[/SPAN] do if a 50-foot nephil attacked your toddler with a broom?

I haven't had a chance to do anything just yet. The birds swooped down on us one day and I carried my kid indoors quickly but the next thing I got out was my trusty rake. You should have seen me.... brandishing my weapon like a mad woman in the air.

Anyway, I get your point, but I've lived that close to them too, and while it can be less than optimal when you are working away on something cerebral and a crow outside your window has decided that it is his time to caw... and caw... and caw... still they are admirably intelligent and mischievous birds. Don't ever put anything blue, small and shiny in your yard. It will be gone quickly. They can also recognise us individually. They are extremely family-oriented, and they have regular meetings with extended family (uncles,  aunts, cousins), which is rare in the animal world.

They have dug some of my bulbs out, not to mention tearing my landscaper mat to shreds. Yay, yah... intelligent birds my ass. More of a menance. I pity the cars parked in front of my house though, these birds have razor sharp claws and they just love shiny bright things on cars.

Speaking of birds in general, one of the funniest (and noblest) things I've ever seen was when a falcon had all the birds in the area scared to death one day. The crows were chasing it, the jays were screeching, but the falcon just kept hanging about, moving from tree to tree. Quite a noisy afternoon it was. Finally it was a tiny little sparrow that attacked the falcon, and for some odd reason, that was was sent it out into the clouds and saved all the other birds.

Really? I haven't seen a falcon up close but they are magnificient birds. Did you see the one that's caged up in the Greater Vancouver Zoo? Now that's really sad.

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

tenkani

Adam Fulford (I hope you're not the real Adam Fulford), on this I agree with you 1,000%!!!

I love crows to death despite their rambunctious nature. I started putting a bowl of bird seed out in my yard for a local blue bird to feast on. I had a liking for him because he kept settling near me and didn't seem afraid.

Well, the crows found the bird seed after a couple days. I knew when they had found it because of the deafening sound of flapping wings and cawing just outside my window one morning. I went outside a few hours later and the bowl was empty. Oh, and the entire table it had been sitting on was covered in bird seed. Thanks guys, real classy.

Anyway, I love crows. They are beautiful and very cunning and I'm going to keep feeding them because I have a feeling that if I stop now they are going to kill me in my sleep.

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Adam_Fulford

tenkani wrote:
Adam Fulford (I hope you're not the real Adam Fulford), on this I agree with you 1,000%!!!

Happy to know that you agree with me on this. I am the real Adam Fulford, not sure why you hope not, but I can imagine, since I've even managed to offend myself with some of my more funky utterances.

I love crows to death despite their rambunctious nature. I started putting a bowl of bird seed out in my yard for a local blue bird to feast on. I had a liking for him because he kept settling near me and didn't seem afraid.

We of the Crow Clan were never defeated, nor forced into assimilation, though, with time, a gradual assimilation has taken place. The crow-language had much to do with it. Other nations did fear us, it is true. Maybe for good reason. We're good to our allies (Mackenzie King certainly benefited from our mystical traditions).

Well, the crows found the bird seed after a couple days. I knew when they had found it because of the deafening sound of flapping wings and cawing just outside my window one morning. I went outside a few hours later and the bowl was empty. Oh, and the entire table it had been sitting on was covered in bird seed. Thanks guys, real classy.

To the victor go the spoils.

Anyway, I love crows. They are beautiful and very cunning and I'm going to keep feeding them because I have a feeling that if I stop now they are going to kill me in my sleep.

No, crows are peaceful, but will attack en masse if seriously threatened, as owls would attest if they could speak human tongue.

Adam_Fulford

purelife wrote:
AF, go watch THE CROW movie.  Buy the DVD if you have not done so.

Do you mean the movie starring Brandon Lee?  A friend of mine met Brandon Lee while negotiating rights to use Bruce Lee's image and principles in a board game.

Lise

Brandon Lee and Bruce Lee were buried in Seattle!

The cemetery address is:
Lakeview Cemetery
1554 15th. Ave. E
Seattle, WA  
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Yes, I meant that movie, AF.  Have you seen it?  I enjoy the soundtrack.

tenkani

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"] I am the real Adam Fulford, not sure why you hope not[/span]

Um, I said I hope it's not the real AF because I can't believe the real AF would continue using his real AF name as a handle.
Oh well. I think this horse has been beaten enough. What a world.

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

P.C.

I believe you can't register a handle that's already in use.  He be the same.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/e130.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.