Network Solutions scam

Started by TehBorken, Feb 16 06 11:44

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Geeez. the people at Network Solutions are scum.

I have a few domains registered with them that are coming up for renewal. The typical cost for 1 year of registration is 8 to 10 bucks almost anywhere on the web. I went to renew the one at Network Solutions at they wanted $34.95 PER YEAR. That's just too damn expensive.

So I go to do a domain name transfer and on the 'unlock domain' page there's a little note to the effect of "oh we really want your business, please call us please please please".

So I call them and I tell the nice customer service lady that "$35 a year for registration is not only insane, it's insulting", and that I'm switching to another registrar. I can host them for 4 or 5 years at any other registrar for that price (most have multiple year discounts).

Wow, amazingly enough they [span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]realize they were caught red-handed[/span] generously offer me the renewals at $8.75 a year with no limit on the number of domains, etc etc.

I took them up on their [span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]shitbag[/span] kind and generous offer, but I came away feeling like Network Solutions is run by a bunch of truly scummy motherf*ckers. They'd have gladly let me pay $35 a year for each  domain if I basically hadn't threatened to switch away.

That's just a shitty business ethic. They'll cheat you if  they can but if you catch them, then and only then they'll give you the real price that they should have all along.

That's just a shitty, dishonest way to run a business IMHO.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Witch

I quit using Network Solutions for my domains a couple of years back. On top of what you've already mentioned, their service leaves much to be desired.

TehBorken

I quit using Network Solutions for my domains a couple of years back. On top of what you've already mentioned, their service leaves much to be desired.

I'm not impressed with their service(s) either. They try and scare the hell out of you with all sorts of warnings whenever you make any changes to the domain setup, DNS, etc. Basically... "[span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"]OMFG!! DANGER! LOOKOUT!! [/span][span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"]OOOH, DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!!!! [/span][span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(255, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);"] YOU'LL DIE IF YOU CHANGE HOSTS! YOUR CHILDREN WILL BURN IN ETERNAL HELLFIRE!! WE'LL RAPE YOUR DOG TOO!! A REPORT WILL BE SENT TO HOMELAND SECURITY!!![/span]"

Okay, maybe I took a little artistic license there, but I think the idea is that Network Solutionscounts on most people not knowing a lot about that stuff so they're petrified to switch away from them when they see all these "warning" messages they pop up.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

tenkani

Hmmm, that sounds familiar...

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.