California whackos ban smoking outside

Started by Geeeez, Feb 16 06 08:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeeez

Calabasas no smoking law begins next month

By Michael Picarella [email protected]
[/p]The new Calabasas secondhand smoke ordinance, which would prohibitsmoking in all public areas of the city including parks, sidewalks andoutdoor businesses, will take effect by the middle of March, cityofficials said. [/p]Final  passage  of  the  ordinance  is  expected  at  the  city council's Feb. 15 meeting. [/p]At  its  Feb.  1  meeting  the council outlined certain exceptions to the law. [/p]Officials from the Los Angeles County Department of Health, theAmerican Heart Association, the American Lung Association, HealthierSolutions, Inc., Smoke-Free Air for Everyone and the Coalition for aTobacco-Free Los Angeles expressed strong support for the new law. Ofthe 17 public speakers at the meeting, all but one supported theordinance. [/p]Last  month,  California  became  the  first  state  to  declare second-hand  tobacco  smoke  a toxic air pollutant. [/p]". . .The California Air Resources Board, which is the agency whichregulates air quality in California, has adopted a regulation to treatsecondhand smoke as a toxic pollutant of the air, like the kinds ofthings that come out of petroleum smoke stacks and out of the tailpipesof cars," said Michael Colantuono, Calabasas city attorney. "Thatdecision is the first time a state regulatory agency of any state inthe nation has reached that conclusion. [/p]The city council agreed to allow smoking in the following areas: [/p]•Private residential property, other than housing used as a childcareor health care facility when employees, children or patients arepresent [/p]•Up  to  20  percent  of  guest rooms in any hotel or motel [/p]•Designated smoking "outposts" in shopping mall common areas that areat least five feet away from any doorway or opening that leads to anenclosed area. [/p]"I think the reason that (city) staff recommended a relatively smallnumber (of outposts) in this instance is because (the city is) going tobe dealing with a variety of commercial property: some large, somesmall, some that are big rectangles, some that have odder shapes,"Colantuono said. "We wanted to have the ability to have at least onedesignated space on each commercial property that meets therequirements. The feeling was that if you don't provide an outlet, thenpeople would simply defy the ordinance." [/p]The city said it would relax the ban  at  times  when  non-smokers aren't present in a public area. [/p]  Business  owners  will  be  responsible for ensuring that all employees and patrons comply with the new law. [/p]Individual citizens can report offenders to the city and officials willdetermine how to handle fines on a case-by-case basis, said TonyCoroalles, Calabasas city manager. [/p]To  view  the  second-hand smoke  ordinance,  visit www.cityofcalabasas.com.

Witch

About freakin' time. Nothing worse than walking out of a store with my kids and having to hold my breath because of the morons smoking in the doorway. No way to protect the kids from it either because the pissant smokers don't seem to have the brain cells left to move away from other people.

A good law that is well past due.

P.C.

Amazing that they would take such steps, and yet be so totally unconcerned about the amount of carbon monoxide overload from vehicles.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Witch

Schadenfreude

Wackos. [/DIV]Cigarettes don't kill people, people kill people.  [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ff40ff" color=#ffff00]SUPPORT THE NRA![/FONT]
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

P.C.

That's true Witch....but I can't help but wonder how many of the non-smokers that are rejoicing over this decision will feel the same when they are restricted from using their vehicles.  

Sportsdude

I totally support this. If I die of lung cancer I know who to blame. Never smoked in my life but at my work, my boss and a couple of people smoke these thick smelling cigarettes.  And they smoke them right in front of the front door. Since I use my car at night its open to the air and guess what? The smoke gets into my car and on everything from clothing to the seats.  It was so bad two weeks ago that it got into the a/c unit so whenever I turned on the a/c or heat the air would smell like smoke.  I was sick for a day.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

49er

maybe its only me.........but in recent years I've notice that there are more young female smokers than there are young males.  Have others notice?

P.C.

I actually haven't notice, but I have heard statistics reported that supports that 49er.

Sportsdude

That is so true. Just visit all the local high schools.  All the girls smoke and its disgusting.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."