Always the outlaw, Willie Nelson releases homage to gay cowboys

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 15 06 04:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Always the outlaw, Willie Nelson releases homage to gay cowboys [!-- END HEADLINE --][DIV id=ynmain][!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --][DIV id=storybody][DIV class=storyhdr][EM class=timedate]Tue Feb 14, 8:41 PM ET[/i]

[DIV class=spacer][/DIV][/DIV]NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Country music outlaw Willie Nelson sang Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys and My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys more than 25 years ago.

He released a very different sort of cowboy anthem this Valentine's Day.

Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly (Fond of Each Other) may be the first gay cowboy song by a major recording artist. But it was written long before this year's Oscar-nominated Brokeback Mountain made gay cowboys a hot topic.

Available exclusively through ITunes, the song features choppy Tex-Mex style guitar runs and Nelson's deadpan delivery of lines like, "What did you think all them saddles and boots was about?" and "Inside every cowboy there's a lady who'd love to slip out."

The song, which debuted Tuesday on Howard Stern's satellite radio show, was written by Texas-born singer-songwriter Ned Sublette in 1981. Sublette said he wrote it during the Urban Cowboy craze and always imagined Nelson singing it.

Someone passed a copy of the song to Nelson back in the late 1980s and, according to Nelson's record label, Lost Highway, he recorded it last year at his Pedernales studio in Texas.

Nelson has appeared in several western movies

[/DIV][/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

Boy, something tells me that true or not, Willie's gonna take some heat for that.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

nah I think he's too old to get heat for this from the neo-cons.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

tenkani

LOL, good for Willie.[/DIV]I believe he's also a big proponent of bio-diesel.Is there a connection?
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Witch

[BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"]Always the outlaw, Willie Nelson releases homage to gay cowboys [!-- END HEADLINE --][/DIV][/BLOCKQUOTE][!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --][DIV id=storybody][P class=storyhdr]Always the outlaw? Or always the opportunist?

[BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"][P class=storyhdr]But it was written long before this year's Oscar-nominated Brokeback Mountain made gay cowboys a hot topic.

[/BLOCKQUOTE]Written long before? Suuuuuuure it was.... Interesting that is wasn't released until after Brokeback Mountain though...

Can you sing "♪ Jump on the ol' bandwagon ♫" ?

Future Canadian

God I love Willie Nelson. I shall burn one in honor of my favorite famous pot head.
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Brent

With you there Future Canadian,..My favourite Willie quote is " If I didn't smoke pot I'd kill people..."    haha.  LongLive Willie.