Want Twins??? Drink more Milk

Started by Sportsdude, May 20 06 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[DIV class=headline]Dairy product tie to having twins [/DIV][!--Smvb--]
[TBODY]
[TD vAlign=bottom][!--Smvb--]By Matt McGrath
BBC News [!--Emvb--][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]
[!--Emvb--]New research suggests that a diet high in dairy products can greatly increase a woman's chances of having twins. A study in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine showed milk drinkers were five times more likely to have twins than women who ate no animal products.   The numbers of twins in the world has increased significantly in the past 30 years, in some countries by over 50%.   Scientists have suggested fertility treatments and women delaying pregnancy can help explain the rise.   [DIV class=bo] But this new research indicates that diet can also play an important part.   Ovaries stimulated In the study, the twinning rates of women who ate a diet including milk were compared with women who followed a vegan, or no animal products diet.   It is believed that a protein found in the livers of animals may be the cause. Called Insulin-like Growth Factor or IGF, it is found in cow's milk and other animal products.   In women it makes the ovaries more sensitive and increases the number of eggs produced. Higher levels of IGF improve the survival chances of an embryo in the early stages of development.   The effect is likely to be greater in countries such as the United States that allow growth hormones to be fed to cattle.   The researcher behind this study says that women thinking of getting pregnant might consider alternatives to meat and dairy products to reduce their chances of having twins, as multiple births are more prone to complications.     [img height=152 alt="Woman holding twins" hspace=0 src="http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41666000/jpg/_41666740_bbc203indextwins.jpg" width=203 border=0]   [DIV class=cap]A protein found in animals' livers may be the cause[/DIV][/DIV]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

I could use a shot of vodka right about now. Twins?? Bahaha. Not likely in my case. I am, however, amazed at a woman who can birth twins. Twice the pain, twice the fun, eh?

Thanks for the article, SD... very interesting. Like all pregnant ladies, I'm still required to drink (and eat) more dairy products than your average person.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Twins are kinda cool but I bet they're a pain to take care of.

Lise

No kidding. Twice the headache, twice the fun, right?    
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Apparently but later on they would get into huge sibling rivalries.

Lise

Well, not all. Some work really well together, just think of the Olsen twins. With some twins, they're closer than most siblings.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Girls are differnt then boys.

Gopher

I've drunk milk all my life, and never even got pregnant.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.