DiscoverSeattle site illegal under proposed House of Representatives bill

Started by TehBorken, May 12 06 06:46

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

BusinessWeek looks at the flaws in the bill proposed by the House of Representatives that would [a href="http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2006/tc20060512_299340.htm"]block access to social networks and Internet chat rooms[/a] in most federally funded schools and libraries.

One big problem with their bill is it is much too vague, it 'could rule out content from any number of Internet companies, including Yahoo! and Google.' What's more, DOPA would prohibit sites that enable users to create their own content and share it. (Like this one.) That covers a wide swath of the online world, known colloquially as Web 2.0, where users actively create everything from blogs to videos to news-page collections.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Trollio

Ahhh....  Step Two in the current administration's plan to follow Glorious Leader's model of perfect society.

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Gopher

My local library already semi-blocks access to DS, i.e. I can read all the messages but am unable to sign-in to make any replies.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

My library doesn't block anything. Went on DV. Nothing happend. Went on DS. Perfectly okay. Heck, the mother next to me was look into breast augmentation.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

NO WAY!!! May DS haunt the dreams of politicians for years to come.

VIVA LA DS (xxxxx infinity)
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.