Terrorists could well use DV, but not DS!

Started by Good Times, Feb 14 06 07:10

Previous topic - Next topic

tenkani

Dude, it would take a lot for me to smite someone.
Like obvious trolling.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

kits

simmer down now tenk......

some people are pretty much retarded!
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Sportsdude

I have no qualms over who spited me.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

tenkani

If I simmered down any more I'd be unconsho.
Sleeeeepy...

TehBorken

I've heard of a method for semi-secure communication that uses any public email service like Hotmail, Yaoo, etc.

Basically, person "A" gets an account and writes his message, then saves it as a 'draft' copy.

Person "B" logs in and reads the 'draft', then adds a reply and re-saves it as a 'draft'.

The message is never sent so it doesn't appear in normal email message traffic, but both parties can read and reply as much as they like.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Schadenfreude

"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Witch

[BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"]Besides, it also makes a good attention grabber title.[/DIV] [/DIV][/BLOCKQUOTE][DIV dir=ltr]And attention getting is really what you're all about, right?[/DIV][DIV dir=ltr] [DIV dir=ltr]I wonder how many other people whining about being moderated will show up here?

Good Times

> I've heard of a method for semi-secure communication that uses any public email service like Hotmail, Yaoo, etc.

That's an equally effective method as well.

As I read your description I remembered a service like mailinator which automatically creates temp email accounts when a message arrives for them.

So then for me the bottom line is, people with malicious intentions wishing to remain anonymous don't need to rely on conventional methods to exchange information through the Net.  What does that say about the value of all the time, money and energy devoted to electronic surveillance?

tenkani

Good point, GT. Well, I'd say that we're spending millions of dollars to catch the really stupid terrorists who don't know any better than to fill their email communications with easily identifiable red-flag keywords    :P

Witch

Or more likely, we're spending millions of dollars to convince ourselves that there are terrorists behind every bush, so that we can continue to employ the fat cats making millions from the "War on Terrorism" fantasy.

former s.consumer

Quote from: Future Canadian on Feb 14 06 11:00...and you notice how Bush has yet to prosecute one single terrorist. All these privacy invasions ought to garner something.[/DIV]Yet Clinton's team caught and prosecuted the first WTC bombers and others. They were hot on the trail of the USS Cole Bombers but shrub (I can't give him the honor of capitalizing) pulled everyone out, saying they were "tired of swatting at flies"[/DIV]
you obviously don't follow international and american cases in which hundreds of operatives have been arrested and charged. these "privacy invasions" are used on specific high risk individuals.do you think that the CIA or the FBI has the time and resources to waste tracking just anybody and everybody? clintons team had a response plan to bin laden and his ideological followers when bush took office the plan was ignored and revamped.then 9/11 happened prompting bush to act,and act incorrectly in iraq.  

Future Canadian

these "privacy invasions" are used on specific high risk individuals.do you think that the CIA or the FBI has the time and resources to waste tracking just anybody and everybody?

Good point, since the CIA and FBI can't seem to get out of their own way. I still don't trust the current administration to only go after terrorism. They are definitely not above dirty tricks against political enemies.
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Witch

It appears that the CIA and other "War on Terror" agencies get pretty much all the money and resources they say they need. Apparently someone understands the principle of supply and demand. If you can convince people they need a bigger and more powerful CIA because there are enemies everywhere, and nukes hidden in every foreigners basement, then they will hand you power and money on a platter.

And the platter just keeps getting bigger... and bigger... and bigger....

Good Times

One interesting scenario to employ with the DV feature is to create "tunnels" - so one hidden message leads to another which leads to another and so on, that way they become very hard to trace and in the end you end up with a whole network of underground messages totally invisible to the outside world.

When I come to think of it, sometime in early 2005 I had created a mini network of such messages, consisting of 4-6 interconnected threads.

But later I lost the entry point. [A onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile_shy.gif')" href="jvascript:void(0)"][/A]