Microsoft boss Bill Gates doesn't want to be the world's richest man

Started by Sportsdude, May 04 06 06:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Microsoft boss Bill Gates doesn't want to be the world's richest man [!-- END HEADLINE --] [DIV id=ynmain][!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --] [DIV id=storybody] [DIV class=storyhdr]  

[DIV class=spacer][/DIV]

REDMOND, Wash. (AP) - Most people probably dream of being the world's richest person - except, perhaps, the man himself.

Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) co-founder Bill Gates told an online advertising conference Wednesday that he'd prefer not to be the richest person in the world.

"I wish I wasn't," he said in a television interview.

Gates is ranked by Forbes magazine as the world's richest individual, with an estimated wealth of about $50 billion US.

"There's nothing good that comes out of that," he said. "You get more visibility as a result of it."

Gates is doing his part to share the wealth. His Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is the world's largest philanthropy, with an endowment of $29.1 billion US. He was not asked about giving away more money sooner.

Still, Gates said he can go out and do everyday things like other people, despite his wealth and celebrity.

"I'm not bothered when I'm out in public or anything," he said. "Someone might ask for a signature, rarely, but that's not a difficult thing."

The Microsoft Corp. chairman also expressed a kinship for at least one other person in his exclusive club, saying during the session that investor Warren Buffett - ranked by Forbes as the world's second-wealthiest - is the person he's learned the most from.

Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., has an estimated wealth of $42 billion US.

Gates also said he wouldn't follow in the footsteps of other wealthy Americans by entering politics.

"I certainly will never be a politician," he said. Asked why not, he said: "For every reason. I wouldn't like it, I wouldn't be elected. I'm better at what I'm doing."

[/DIV][/DIV][!-- END HEADLINE --]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Mutilated Mind

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

TehBorken

"There's nothing good that comes out of that," he (Gates) said.

So...there's nothing "good" that comes from having lots and lots of money? Shit, cry me a river, Bill. Your poor helpless bastard, burdened with all that troublesome money.

It's a problem? Give it away. Problem solved. Cancer research, food programs, medical services....all good candidates for $50 billion dollars. Or give it to me. I'll spend most of it on booze and strippers, and the rest will be squandered.  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

CK

Mutilated Mind

To give is much better than to receive, as they say, CK.

Chicklet

Who says that?  Please provid sources for your comment.
'In every group of human beings you will find a few specimens of below average intelligence, above average ego and spectacularly bad judgement.' - tenkani

Sportsdude

Well who would want to be known by the geekiest mug shot:

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Chicklet

'In every group of human beings you will find a few specimens of below average intelligence, above average ego and spectacularly bad judgement.' - tenkani

Mutiled Mind

Chicklet wrote:
Who says that?  Please provid sources for your comment.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I said that. In the post above, remember.
But it's a saying. Look for it with Google, you will find instances of it.
You might have done that yourself already rather than waste my time with childish comments.

Chicklet

It wouldn't have 'wasted' your time if you didn't respond to my childish post.  That makes you just as childish.  Welcome to the club kiddo!

Mutilated Mind

Chicklet wrote:
It wouldn't have 'wasted' your time if you didn't respond to my childish post.  That makes you just as childish.  Welcome to the club kiddo!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have an interesting, very intellectually mature way of reasoning, "kiddo"...

It's so very recognizable however...

Mutilated Mind

Chicklet wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have an interesting, very intellectually mature way of reasoning, "kiddo"...It's so very recognizable however...

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Mutilated Mind

Sportsdude wrote:
Well who would want to be known by the geekiest mug shot:
----------------------------------------------

Really now.
You could bet on it that someone would dig up Gates' old mugshot. He got that when as a teenager he committed some prank, AFAIK.