Americans Are Seriously Sick

Started by TehBorken, May 03 06 06:57

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

A study by US and British researchers on [a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060503/ap_on_he_me/sick_america;_ylt=ApwGI2_a4VR7yCf_3J4qmU2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3czJjNGZoBHNlYwM3NTE-"]frequency of illnesses[/a] shows that even when you compare like groups in the US and the UK, people in the US are considerably sicker than their counterparts in the UK. This is after factors such as age, race, income, education and gender were taken into consideration.

The most startling conclusion was that although the richest Americans were better off than the poorest Americans, they did no better (health-wise) than the poorest of the English. Previous studies of the entire population had shown similar results, with America placing around 25th amongst industrialized countries on chronic disease prevention, but it had been assumed that minorities and economics were skewing the results. This study suggests that maybe that isn't the case."  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

well duh, you can't buy money doesn't buy a health free lifestyle just ask Sam Walton. One of the richest men on the planet and he still died from cancer.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

I would imagine that the more money one has, the more easily one is able to finance a lifestyle which millitates against good health.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Future Canadian

The article I read said that the US spends twice what the British do per person. What a screwed up system we have. I'll think about it as I'm writing out my $600 check for health insurance this month.
It's my understanding they focus more on prevention whereas we just try to avoid lawsuits and nobody goes to the doctor or hospital until it's bad because no one can afford it.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Gopher

Future Canadian wrote:
The article I read said that the US spends twice what the British do per person. What a screwed up system we have. I'll think about it as I'm writing out my $600 check for health insurance this month.
It's my understanding they focus more on prevention whereas we just try to avoid lawsuits and nobody goes to the doctor or hospital until it's bad because no one can afford it.

[FONT color=#6000bf]So, when are you going to change your name to Future Brit? They get longer holidays too.[/FONT]

Sportsdude

Yeah but now with the British National Party becoming a force in british politics (they are a racist fascist party) Britian is a not friendly to immigrants zone.

Gopher

Sportsdude wrote:
 Yeah but now with the British National Party becoming a force in british politics (they are a racist fascist party) Britian is a not friendly to immigrants zone.[/DIV]
 Yes, true and the BNP have made some inroads into the local elections which were held yesterday. I wonder how much this can be regarded as merely an anti-Blair protest? There is also some thought that this surge in 'partiotic'(?????) sentiment could be occasioned by the facts that St. George's Day fell only a short time ago and that at present England is agog with expectation for great results (they won't get them) in the forthcoming FIFA World Cup. However, unfortuantely I tend to disagree.. there IS something bad going on.      

Sportsdude

I think everyone knows that BNP is bad news and you don't use protest votes on a openly racist party that believes in aparthied.

Future Canadian

Gopher wrote:

[font color="#6000bf"]So, when are you going to change your name to Future Brit? They get longer holidays too.

[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"]I would move to Europe in a second if I could! US culture is seriously screwed up, people live to work here instead of working to live. The American way seems to be to work yourself into the ground, over-indulge yourself with alcohol, tobacco, and fat-ass food as a reward, and then down pharmaceuticals to cover stress, depression, obesity, etc. Oh but if you'd rather light up a joint instead...land of the free my ass. we are slaves to the almighty dollar here.
Yup I'd take those 4-6 weeks of vacation a year. I don't even have vacation time at my new job.
[/span][/font]

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Sportsdude

I work 6 days a week and its ruining my life.  And I hate what I do.

Future Canadian

I hear you there SD. I work 50-55 hours a week, all on my feet, always busy like I'm five minutes behind. It's running me ragged. Then try to fit in being a decent dad and husband and that leaves very little time to myself for pursuing hobbies (or posting on DS for that matter).
I want to like what I do, but I really just hate working in general.

Sportsdude

I only work 5hrs a day but its during the middle of the night so I end up sleeping the entire day which puts my school work behind and makes me feel like I'm never going to finish it. Then when I get up the sun's going down. Hence you become nocturnal. You start to get depressed. You end up wasting days, weeks and months go by just like that.  Been in this pattern for a year and a half.

Gopher

Sportsdude wrote:
 I only work 5hrs a day but its during the middle of the night so I end up sleeping the entire day which puts my school work behind and makes me feel like I'm never going to finish it. Then when I get up the sun's going down. Hence you become nocturnal. You start to get depressed. You end up wasting days, weeks and months go by just like that.  Been in this pattern for a year and a half.[/DIV]
 That stinks. I was once involved in something similar, however in the end I saw sense and walked out! It was the best paid job I'd ever had too - but now I'm extremely happy in something which is pittance paid but otherwise satisfying in every way.

Cheer up, things will get better - eventually. I know what it's like to get caught in this sort of trap. I opften think that the secret of life (or at least part of that secret) is to be irresponsible, even reckless at times. At least it breaks the monotony.

Gopher

Future Canadian wrote:
Gopher wrote:

[FONT color=#6000bf]So, when are you going to change your name to Future Brit? They get longer holidays too.

[SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(0,0,0)"]I would move to Europe in a second if I could! US culture is seriously screwed up, people live to work here instead of working to live. The American way seems to be to work yourself into the ground, over-indulge yourself with alcohol, tobacco, and fat-ass food as a reward, and then down pharmaceuticals to cover stress, depression, obesity, etc. Oh but if you'd rather light up a joint instead...land of the free my ass. we are slaves to the almighty dollar here.
Yup I'd take those 4-6 weeks of vacation a year. I don't even have vacation time at my new job.
[/SPAN][/FONT]
[FONT color=#c00000]Well, here's another temptation for you. The dollar doesn't exist in Europe! [/FONT]

[FONT color=#c00000]Otherwise I think that the main difference lies in the lifestyle difference betteen the Europeans and the Americans. The Europeans certainly have a higher alcohol consumption than the Americans and also have all the stresses and strains of them, but somewhere along the line there's a difference.Maybe it really is that they refuse to be slaves to any currency whatsoever that makes the difference. Maybe too, something to do with the fact that Americans are so often told that 'everything' is achievable for everybody (an impossibility of ever there was).[/FONT]

[FONT color=#c00000]I always think of  Europeans and Canadians having that in common which the USA can never hope to have (or buy).[/FONT]