Cinema owners try to lure us back to the movies

Started by TehBorken, Apr 30 06 10:13

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Cinema owners try to lure us back to the movies         [/h3] Cinema owners are freaking out over plummeting attendance. Going to the movies has stopped being nearly as much fun because of the crummy movies, the door-searches, the camera-confiscations, the nonstop advertising, security guards scanning the audience with infrared goggles, and especially the dumb anti-piracy nag-PSAs (hint to cinema industry: if I'm spending $$$$  to get into the cinema, I'm not a pirate, I'm a customer). They propose to fix this by jamming cell-phones and creating nicer auditoriums. This seems like a pretty ineffectual band-aid to me. Better movies, fewer ads, eliminating invasive searches, infrared scanning, and no insulting pre-film notices would go a lot further to luring me back into the dark. [/p][blockquote]The mantra at ArcLight Cinemas in Hollywood is ``ease, comfort and control.'' Besides reserved seating, the 15-screen complex has online ticketing and 21-Plus Screenings, where, if you're 21, you can bring alcohol into the theater. ``People complain about sticky floors, dirty bathrooms and zombie staff,'' said the ArcLight's Robert Brugeman. ``To get their attention, you have to offer a premium product.'' [/p]Theater owners are also taking aim at cell-phone users. NATO has made solving the cell-phone problem a ``high priority'' and is looking into jamming cell-phone signals. [/p][/blockquote]  [a href="http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/peninsula/14457900.htm?source=rss&channel=mercurynews_peninsula"]Link[/a]  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kitten

The one thing that drove me away from theatres long ago was the deafening volume.  Even using earplugs, the noise was loud enough to give me a severe headache.  
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Glad someone's raised the topic of the volume of noise in cinemas. Anyone any inkling of why this is thought to be necessary?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

I think that there are so many loud noises assailing the eardrums that people are gradually losing their hearing.  Movie sound might be turned up to compensate for all the other noise in the theatre.......talking, paper rattling, that sort of thing.

Sportsdude

WHAT?! What noise, theatre too quiet. Can't hear a thing...
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

I thought the whole issue with the loud noise was to enhance the whole experience. I certainly don't think much of the noise. It worked when I was watching LOTR.

Prices are set way too high. Especially if you want to take your family out. They should have just stick to Tuesday Cheap Movie Night. I don't go to the movies as much, not because I don't want to pay the price but because it's hard for me. Having a young family means very little time to go out and enjoy movies like I used to.

Then there is the other issue of download. Why go to the movies at all when you can also download before it even hits the big screen?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Chicklet

I know I don't go to the movies much anymore because of the price and the environment.  I hate the dirty floors, bathrooms and uncomfortable seats.  As films get longer and longer it becomes hard to sit in those seats for longer than 2 hours.  I also hate the talkers, the over powering smells of other people and the kicking of the back of my seat.  I have a theatre room in my house and love the fact that I have incredibly comfy seating and I can go to the bathroom when I want and completely control the entire environment.
As you can tell, I have severe issues with movie theatres.
'In every group of human beings you will find a few specimens of below average intelligence, above average ego and spectacularly bad judgement.' - tenkani

Lise

Wow Chicklet. Can we all come and watch in your fancy theatre room one day? * jealous *
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Chicklet

You are always welcome Lise!  I promise it will be clean and we can have the volume at any level and I guarantee that no one will kick the back of you seat.
'In every group of human beings you will find a few specimens of below average intelligence, above average ego and spectacularly bad judgement.' - tenkani

soapbox

first run/new release film selection is poor,prices way to high and theatres to crammed.

i prefer to go to reporatory cinemas....better/classic films,better price and cheaper food,more respectful audience.

Gopher

Theatres too crammed? The last time I went I was one of an audience of five that had turned out for The Constant Gardener.  

TehBorken

Chicklet wrote:
at any level and I guarantee that no one will kick the back of you seat.

Is it just me or did anyone else read that as "no one will lick the back of you seat"?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

It's you. She wrote "KICK".  But heck, you can lick my seats anytime you want, TehBorken.
Bill Cosby.

Gopher

Lise wrote:
 It's you. She wrote "KICK".  But heck, you can lick my seats anytime you want, TehBorken. [/DIV]
 Seats? Plural?  Surely not!  

kitten

Gopher wrote:
Lise wrote:
 It's you. She wrote "KICK".  But heck, you can lick my seats anytime you want, TehBorken. [/DIV]
 Seats? Plural?  Surely not!

One for the office, and one for casual wear, right?