Keep Katie Quiet!

Started by TehBorken, Apr 27 06 09:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

as they say "a little bit of knowledge" can be dangerous.  That's why I plan to take a college class on Canadian govt. and culture therefore I don't sound like a Tom Cruise all the time thinking I know a lot when I know very little.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]once an 'actor' crosses the line, with controversial claims and blames, (particularly when he knows little of what he's talking about)  he's opened himself up.

[/div]
Yup. It's not like Mr. Cruise has exactly shunned the limelight. He's made a lot of controversial statements and it's unrealistic to expect people wouldn't parody him or make sport of him or his stated beliefs. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it comes with the territory and is to be expected.

Another example- I remember how Madonna promoted herself super aggressively for YEARS until she practically became a household word. She published books showing herself getting it on with half of California and she never missed a talk show unless she was in a coma. NOW she's complaining she "can't get any privacy". I had to laugh when I heard that, frankly. And she's a "deep believer" in the Kabbalah, which just goes to show that she's as big an idiot as any of 'em.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

*Hi TehBorken*

Pretty much, TehBorken.  I think they have as much right as anyone to their beliefs.....but I thought he went way over the line when he publicly criticsized Brooke Sheilds for the way she was handling her depression.  I'n not a big Brooke fan by any stretch, but that's neither here nor there.

It's an actors job I suppose, to put themselves in the limelight as much as possible.....it's the nature of their job, but attacking your peers publicly doesn't seem like such a good idea.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

The way he criticize Brooke is way overboard, yep, I agree with you, PC. I mean, he's entitled to his opinions but the way he lambasted her for taking the medications is so stupid.

He needs to be a bit more diplomatic when tackling sensitive issues like this.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Hi Lise !!!!!!   [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/liebe/d042.gif" border=0].....Absolutely.

(How are you feeling ????)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Jolly Green Giant

It seems an established fact that living the life of a moviestar or perhaps any kind of star will do something to the way you live your life. Whether it's the media themselves preying for their own survival on those sometimes pitiful human beings - but almost always sporting hypertrophied or hurt egoes - or whether it's those people's own personal foibles and quirks may be subject to debate (or to scientific research). They will often attract attention in strange ways.

But nevertheless, I don't agree that being set up as sitting ducks for public scrutiny and not a little malevolent interest gives anyone a right to shoot them on sight.

TehBorken

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
But nevertheless, I don't agree that being set up as sitting ducks for public scrutiny and not a little malevolent interest gives anyone a right to shoot them on sight.

Well, not without a permit anyway.  

Jolly Green Giant

Sportsdude wrote:
as they say "a little bit of knowledge" can be dangerous. That's why I plan to take a college class on Canadian govt. and culture therefore I don't sound like a Tom Cruise all the time thinking I know a lot when I know very little.
-------------------------------------

Maybe he does know more than it sounds like and it only doesn't "come out" right for some reason. Have you given thought to that ?

I know I seem to be defending Tom Cruise which doesn't seem to be the politically correct thing to do right now and here, but I know a group mind "opinion" when I see one.

Jolly Green Giant

In short: I think that "game", which BTW isn't about Tom Cruise but about Katie Holmes, is a disgrace.

It couldn't be a game besides except to the most accomplished of morons, or to little children who don't know better.

TehBorken

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Maybe he does know more than it sounds like and it only doesn't "come out" right for some reason. Have you given thought to that ?

I'm certain you're correct  -he probably does know more than it sounds like he does- but that's beside the point. This was about making fun of him and whether or not it was "acceptable".

Hell, by the time the newspapers were done I knew more about his kid's birth than I knew about my own son's. We knew who, when, where, how and how often, his name, weight, sun sign and blood type. We knew what brand of clothes he'd wear and even what colors and sounds he'd be exposed to for the first few weeks of this life.

It would be quite unreasonable to expect that no one would make light of this circus, don't you think?

TehBorken

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
In short: I think that "game", which BTW isn't about Tom Cruise but about Katie Holmes, is a disgrace.

You're welcome to your opinion and I'd fight to the death to defend it (or at least till it started to hurt real bad, then I'd probably quit and go watch TV or somethin'.).

It couldn't be a game besides except to the most accomplished of morons, or to little children who don't know better.

Well, you know, I don't think that it was really mean to be played seriously as a game; I'm fairly sure it was done primarily as a spoof or "1-minute funny" (which is about twice as long as it captured my interest).

I'm curious, JGJ- is it wrong to make fun of anyone in a mean-spirited way, or only certain people or groups, or...?