Hello Kitten

Started by Gopher, Apr 24 06 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Gopher

List coming in my next post - I'll use the Latin names where possible to avoid confusion (local names tending to be different in different localities).  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Gopher

Right, here's the list. I may have forgotten one or two -I've also decided not to include the weeds. All of these plants are flowering at the moment, however some of them are at the end of their season.

Wall flower (Cheiranthos), Dicentra, Leopard's Bane (Dornicum), Euphorbia, Helleborus, Meconopsis cambrica, Primula Vulgaris, Primula auricula (two varieties, one yellow, one plum), numerous other primulae, Fritillaria imperialis, Armeria, Forget-me-nots, Convallaria, Hyancinths, pink, blue, red, white and cream), Naricssi (several varieties) Muscari, Scilla, Grape Hyacinths, Tulips, Endymion non-scriptus, Allium triqentrum, Lunaria, Forsythia, Vinca major and Mahonia.

kitten

Gopher, you were asking before about the difference between "cool" and "hot".  I think that calling something "cool" means that it is enjoyable, whereas "hot" seems to denote something currently fashionable or beautiful.  Of course, I could be totally off base on this, but it's my guess based on how I've heard the terms used.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Well, I've never been hot, and if people would like to think of me as cool well, that's cool with me!

Thanks for the explantion, it roughly concurs with what I'd thought.

kitten

I don't think I've ever been "hot" or "cool", unless one is referring to temperature.  Perhaps "moderate" would be the best description.  I'm not a follower of trends, and I certainly haven't set any that I'm aware of.  Wouldn't it be nice to set a courtesy trend, and have everyone jump on the bandwagon?

Gopher

You'll be in the driving seat, I take it? I imagine then that you're like me - someone who rigidly avoids every bandwagon but your own!

kitten

So true.  If I like something, I don't need anyone's approval to make it viable for me.  That's why I value my independence so highly.  It might be harder to go it alone at times, but it's worth it.  When I consider the option of a relationship, I shudder to think of the loss of freedom.  Definitely not for me.  In the words of the old song, "Don't Fence Me In"

I think the original topic ran away and hid somewhere, but it will come back to me later.  I forgot to reply with quote, and I didn't want to erase all this after going to all the effort of typing it.  Lazy, huh???

Gopher

Not lazy at all, I'd already read the preceding message.

May one most courteously ask if one is having a good weekend? Mine is over as I went back to work today, however yesterday was wonderful - I did a small journey into the unknown (a little place not far from where I live, but not previously visited). Terrific, just wandering, daydreaming, drinking in the magnificence of May, and generally feeling that everyone on earth should envy the feelings that were in me. I intend to do a lot of this over the year. You can't beat serendipity.

kitten

Gopher wrote:

May one most courteously ask if one is having a good weekend? Mine is over as I went back to work today, however yesterday was wonderful - I did a small journey into the unknown (a little place not far from where I live, but not previously visited). Terrific, just wandering, daydreaming, drinking in the magnificence of May, and generally feeling that everyone on earth should envy the feelings that were in me. I intend to do a lot of this over the year. You can't beat serendipity.[/DIV]
 My weekend is going as well as can be expected.  I work weekends, and have Monday and Tuesday off.  I chose those days as shops are less crowded at the beginning of the week, which gives me more time off for other things.

I used to drive to places unknown and wander around enjoying the different views.  With gas prices what they are now, plus the age of my car, I rarely do that any more.  I did find it one of the nicest ways to lose the cares of life and just relax and enjoy myself.  Prowling around little stores, especially second-hand shops, was a lot of fun too.  Second-hand shops have some of the most interesting old things that can bring back memories of a by-gone era.

It is good to see that you had such a wonderful yesterday.  And yes, serendipity is a beautiful thing indeed.

Tomorrow I take the car for maintenance, and the cat to the vet for rehydration.  The cat has to go in every three days for this procedure as his kidneys are starting to fail.  Like his owner, he is getting older and things don't work the way they used to when he was a kitten.  

Gopher

kitten wrote:
Gopher wrote:

May one most courteously ask if one is having a good weekend? Mine is over as I went back to work today, however yesterday was wonderful - I did a small journey into the unknown (a little place not far from where I live, but not previously visited). Terrific, just wandering, daydreaming, drinking in the magnificence of May, and generally feeling that everyone on earth should envy the feelings that were in me. I intend to do a lot of this over the year. You can't beat serendipity.[/DIV]
 My weekend is going as well as can be expected.  I work weekends, and have Monday and Tuesday off.[FONT color=#ff0000] (almost as peculiar as my arrangements, I have Fridays and Saturdays off!)[/FONT]  I chose those days as shops are less crowded at the beginning of the week, which gives me more time off for other things.

I used to drive to places unknown and wander around enjoying the different views.  With gas prices what they are now, plus the age of my car, [FONT color=#ff0000](as long as it never catches you up, that's all that matters - I don't even have one) [/FONT]I rarely do that any more.  I did find it one of the nicest ways to lose the cares of life and just relax and enjoy myself.  Prowling around little stores, especially second-hand shops, was a lot of fun too.  Second-hand shops have some of the most interesting old things that can bring back memories of a by-gone era. [FONT color=#ff0000]I love them and visit them at least three times a week, they're veritable treasurehouses - and what's more you can always pick up things of terrific quality which you'd otherwise never be able to afford - very often, they're new too.[/FONT]

It is good to see that you had such a wonderful yesterday.  And yes, serendipity is a beautiful thing indeed.

Tomorrow I take the car for maintenance, and the cat to the vet for rehydration.  The cat has to go in every three days for this procedure as his kidneys are starting to fail.  Like his owner, he is getting older and things don't work the way they used to when he was a kitten.  [FONT color=#ff0000]Same goes for me - although at present it's not too evident. Oh the joy of ageing! However, I  think that once I turned fifty life suddenly seem to become easier, I wonder if you experienced the same?  You know, the feeling  of 'what does it matter' and the like. Yep, it's good.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000][/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000]I also agree with you about unwedded bliss, thus far the only drawback I've thought of is that there's never anyone close at hand who can share some of the blame![/FONT]

kitten

[FONT color=#6000bf]Today I shall be dashing off in all directions.  Not quite simultaneously, but close enough.  (when I was quite young my older brother used to regale me with stories of the Brave Knight astride his dashing Charge Account off to save the day)  I will pop in later this morning.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000]. Oh the joy of ageing! However, I  think that once I turned fifty life suddenly seem to become easier, I wonder if you experienced the same?  You know, the feeling  of 'what does it matter' and the like. Yep, it's good.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000][FONT color=#6000bf]I found that as I grew older that the challenges of life changed, but so did the mental attitude in coping with them.  Things that used to bother me no longer do, but things that never bothered me assumed a far greater importance.  For example, I once worried about growing old......this no longer upsets me.  From this new perspective it is becoming an interesting adventure instead of a drawback.  The annoying part of life is the decreasing mobility and increasing pain that accompanies the aging process.  Knowing that I can no longer do the things that I once did with the greatest of ease is a hindrance I don't enjoy at all.  Over all, though, the greater peace of mind makes it all worthwhile.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000][FONT color=#6000bf].[/FONT] [/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000]I also agree with you about unwedded bliss, thus far the only drawback I've thought of is that there's never anyone close at hand who can share some of the blame![/FONT]

[FONT color=#6000bf]The thing I like is that there is nobody around that should be blamed.  Since I have achieved perfection, this is a very good thing.   LOL[/FONT]

Gopher

kitten wrote:
 [FONT color=#6000bf]Today I shall be dashing off in all directions.  Not quite simultaneously, but close enough.  (when I was quite young my older brother used to regale me with stories of the Brave Knight astride his dashing Charge Account off to save the day)  I will pop in later this morning.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000]. Oh the joy of ageing! However, I  think that once I turned fifty life suddenly seem to become easier, I wonder if you experienced the same?  You know, the feeling  of 'what does it matter' and the like. Yep, it's good.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000][FONT color=#6000bf]I found that as I grew older that the challenges of life changed, but so did the mental attitude in coping with them.  Things that used to bother me no longer do, but things that never bothered me assumed a far greater importance.  For example, I once worried about growing old......this no longer upsets me [FONT color=#407f00](ditto to both parts of this sentence).[/FONT]  From this new perspective it is becoming an interesting adventure instead of a drawback.  The annoying part of life is the decreasing mobility [FONT color=#007f40](this has yet to be encountered, I await it with great curiosity, in the meantime I walk about 6 miles per day to and from work, not to mention the fact that once there my behind hardly has time to touch a chair)[/FONT]and increasing pain that accompanies the aging process.  Knowing that I can no longer do the things that I once did with the greatest of ease is a hindrance I don't enjoy at all.  Over all, though, the greater peace of mind makes it all worthwhile.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT color=#007f40] (It certainly does, I wish some to Sportsdude too, he certainly does seem to go through the mill at times).[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000][FONT color=#6000bf].[/FONT] [/FONT]

[FONT color=#6000bf]The thing I like is that there is nobody around that should be blamed.  Since I have achieved perfection, this is a very good thing.   LOL[/FONT]
  [FONT color=#007f40]Madame, your modesty perfectly becomes you.[/FONT]

kitten

Gopher wrote:
 [FONT color=#ff0000][FONT color=#6000bf][FONT color=#007f40](this has yet to be encountered, I await it with great curiosity, in the meantime I walk about 6 miles per day to and from work, not to mention the fact that once there my behind hardly has time to touch a chair)[/FONT].[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT color=#6000bf][/FONT]

[FONT color=#bf5f00]There was a time when I would happily run up four or five flights of stairs carrying goods for delivery or pick-up.  Eventually I damaged my back to the point where flights of stairs are a hurdle to be tackled with difficulty.  Ditto for walking, carrying fairly heavy loads of groceries, and so forth.  So although my mobility may be challenged, life is infinitely preferable to the other alternative.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#007f40] (It certainly does, I wish some to Sportsdude too, he certainly does seem to go through the mill at times). [/FONT]

[FONT color=#007f40][/FONT]

[FONT color=#bf5f00]He surely does, and a lot of that is due to relative inexperience and a lack of confidence in his abilities.  Don't most people go through that period of development?  I know I certainly did.  That sense of people watching you, ready to find fault with every step you take, and every decision you come to.  It's only when one realizes that critics abound, and mistakes are inevitable, that one develops the confidence to carry on, regardless.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000][FONT color=#6000bf].[/FONT] [/FONT]   [FONT color=#007f40]Madame, your modesty perfectly becomes you.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#bf5f00]Naturally it does, but I can afford to be humble out of kindness to lesser mortals who lack my perfection![/FONT]

Gopher

kitten wrote:
Gopher wrote:
 [FONT color=#ff0000][FONT color=#6000bf][FONT color=#007f40](this has yet to be encountered, I await it with great curiosity, in the meantime I walk about 6 miles per day to and from work, not to mention the fact that once there my behind hardly has time to touch a chair)[/FONT].[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT color=#bf5f00]There was a time when I would happily run up four or five flights of stairs carrying goods for delivery or pick-up.  Eventually I damaged my back to the point where flights of stairs are a hurdle to be tackled with difficulty.  Ditto for walking, carrying fairly heavy loads of groceries, and so forth.  So although my mobility may be challenged, life is infinitely preferable to the other alternative.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#c00000][/FONT]

[FONT color=#007f40] (It certainly does, I wish some to Sportsdude too, he certainly does seem to go through the mill at times). [/FONT]

[FONT color=#bf5f00]He surely does, and a lot of that is due to relative inexperience and a lack of confidence in his abilities.  Don't most people go through that period of development?  I know I certainly did.  That sense of people watching you, ready to find fault with every step you take, and every decision you come to.  It's only when one realizes that critics abound, and mistakes are inevitable, that one develops the confidence to carry on, regardless.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000][FONT color=#6000bf]That's absolutely true, I went through the same stage as well and think that I only finally relinquished it when it eventually dawned on me that the sort of people you mentioned were not wiothout thoughts of their own: their prime one being their supposed superiority in all things.[/FONT][/FONT]   [FONT color=#007f40]Madame, your modesty perfectly becomes you.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#bf5f00]Naturally it does, but I can afford to be humble out of kindness to lesser mortals who lack my perfection![/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000]Oh! Does this mean that you won't be kind to me?[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000]By the way, isn't this a terrific forum? I sometimes feel myself half in love with everyone who's on it![/FONT]

kitten

Gopher wrote:

[FONT color=#ff0000][FONT color=#6000bf]That's absolutely true, I went through the same stage as well and think that I only finally relinquished it when it eventually dawned on me that the sort of people you mentioned were not wiothout thoughts of their own: their prime one being their supposed superiority in all things.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT color=#407f00]Often these people pretend to be superior to cover their inadequacies, hoping others will be too awed by them to question their failings.  Defence by attack, so to speak.  I've know quite a few people like this.  It is a good front for a while, but sooner or later they are caught out and rejected by those who once feared them.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff0000]Oh! Does this mean that you won't be kind to me?[/FONT]

[FONT color=#7f7f00]Since you are also perfect, why would I be unkind to you?  As a matter of fact, all my friends are perfect because otherwise they wouldn't be good enough to be friends, now would they?[/FONT] [FONT color=#ff0000]By the way, isn't this a terrific forum? I sometimes feel myself half in love with everyone who's on it![/FONT]

[FONT color=#7f7f00]This is a wonderful place with terrific people and interesting topics.  *with the odd exception that proves the rule*      It is well managed, and registration keeps it a lot nicer than that other forum.[/FONT]

|