Patriate the monarchy

Started by Sportsdude, Apr 22 06 05:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[H2]Patriate the monarchy[/H2]Globe and Mail Editorial The Queen's 80th birthday is an occasion to admire her record as monarch and to wish her long life and happiness. But it is also a time to think about what happens when her reign ends. This paper has long argued that, after her passing, Canada should choose its own head of state.

[!-- /Summary --] Though many Canadians feel great affection for the Queen and the Royal Family, the time has passed when the monarchy was a meaningful part of our national life. Sharing our head of state with a foreign country after 138 years of nationhood is an anachronism, not fitting with our present reality as a modern, multicultural country.

There is no need to declare a republic. The Governor-General could be chosen in some novel, Canadian way -- perhaps, as suggested here before, by the Companions of the Order of Canada. Whatever the method, he or she, not a British monarch, should be our next head of state.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

As a Monarchist, descended from Loyalists, I feel that the Queen is a symbol to all the Commonwealth.  I believe that the Queen (or King) should remain as symbolic head of Canada.  She has no say in the day-to-day affairs of the country, but neither does she make political decisions in the British Isles.  Having one focal point among many countries is something that ties us together.  It certainly doesn't hurt Canada in any way.  If France had kept their Monarch instead of decapitating him, we might now have two countries in Canada, each with a ruler as head of state.    Now there's an interesting concept!
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

Well in away the monarch kind of does. One of the views of the seperatists is that they see the monarch as 'English' and that its anglo and they don't represent Quebecers.  Eliminating the monarchy after Queen Elizabeth dies would effectively kill that excuse. Another is that once Prince Charles takes the throne he is going to want to have Camilla as its Queen. He will get his way because if the British Parliament introvenes there would be a constitution crisis.  The monarchy in Britian is in its dying days and getting rid of the monarchy is growing in britian.

The bottom line is do you want all your money to Say Queen Camilla on it.  And I think the answer most Canadians would say is no.

But getting rid of the british monarchy doesn't mean ex-Queens should not be on canadian coins and dollars. Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth were a big part of Canada and they should rightly have there place in Canadian History.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

I agree that the separatists would like to do away with the monarchy and all it represents.  But they are a minority in Canada and separatism isn't universally popular in Quebec.  They are kind of like a union, demanding everything or they will go on strike (separate).  Quebec is financially far better off to remain in Canada, rather than going its separate way.

I don't really think Prince Charles will ascend to the throne, precisely because of Camilla.  I expect that Prince William will be the one chosen.  So far he doesn't have any scandal attached to him.  He would probably be the best choice in that he would appeal to a larger segment of the population and revive interest in the monarchy.

Gopher

kitten wrote:
 As a Monarchist, descended from Loyalists, I feel that the Queen is a symbol to all the Commonwealth.  I believe that the Queen (or King) should remain as symbolic head of Canada.  She has no say in the day-to-day affairs of the country, but neither does she make political decisions in the British Isles.  Having one focal point among many countries is something that ties us together.  It certainly doesn't hurt Canada in any way.  If France had kept their Monarch instead of decapitating him, we might now have two countries in Canada, each with a ruler as head of state.    Now there's an interesting concept![FONT color=#40007f]A case of two heads being better than none?[/FONT]

A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

Gopher wrote:
A case of two heads being better than none?

Perhaps it would turn out to be a case of divided we stand, united we fall.

Gopher

kitten wrote:
I agree that the separatists would like to do away with the monarchy and all it represents.  But they are a minority in Canada and separatism isn't universally popular in Quebec.  They are kind of like a union, demanding everything or they will go on strike (separate).  Quebec is financially far better off to remain in Canada, rather than going its separate way.

I don't really think Prince Charles will ascend to the throne, precisely because of Camilla.  I expect that Prince William will be the one chosen.  So far he doesn't have any scandal attached to him.  He would probably be the best choice in that he would appeal to a larger segment of the population and revive interest in the monarchy.

I certainly can't envisage Prince Charles being the next monarch - quite simply, he's too much of a bumbling buffoon! It looks like being a case of William or nobody at all.

soapbox

God Save the Queen.      

Gopher

Did anyone here send her a birthday card?

kitten

Darn, I knew there was something I forgot to do.  A bit late for it now.