U2 line tops favourite lyric poll

Started by Sportsdude, Apr 17 06 09:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[DIV class=headline]U2 line tops favourite lyric poll [/DIV]A line from U2's 1992 hit One has been voted the UK's favourite song lyric. The line "One life, with each other, sisters, brothers" came top of a poll of 13,000 people by music channel VH1.  The song reached number seven in the UK chart when it was originally released, but a new version featuring Mary J Blige recently went to number two.  A lyric from The Smiths' song How Soon is Now? came second in the poll, followed by a line from Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

[DIV class=bo]A call from Bob Marley to "free our minds" in his Redemption Song came fourth, with Coldplay's hit Yellow in fifth.  Memorable moments from Eminem, Robbie Williams, The Who, Radiohead and Marvin Gaye were also in the top 10.  John Lennon's Imagine did not feature in the top 20 despite coming top of a similar survey in 1999.  The top five lyrics in the VH1 poll were:  [UL]1. U2 - One. "One life, with each other, sisters, brothers."  2. The Smiths - How Soon is Now? "So you go, and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry, and you want to die."  3. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. "I feel stupid and contagious, here we are now, entertain us."  4. Bob Marley - Redemption Song. "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds, have no fear for atomic energy, 'cause none of them can stop the time."  5. Coldplay - Yellow. "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you."

[/UL]

[DIV class=footer]Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/4915848.stm

Published: 2006/04/17 11:21:59 GMT

© BBC MMVI
[/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

I'm sorry but Nirvana and Bob Marley? I'm a big Coldplay fan so I don't really mind them on there but Yellow really isn't there greatest. The Smith's? Never heard of them. Big, Big, Big, Big U2 fan wasn't suprised that they were on the list but I'm in the minority on this one and think "One" isn't that great of a song overall but that one lyric is good but its not there best. U2's best stuff is always at the end of albums those songs never get played so not many people know about them unless the buy the album.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."