Gun totting Dick

Started by Alumni, Feb 12 06 01:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumni

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President [SPAN class=yqlink][A class=yqimgins title="Related information on Dick Cheney" onclick="activateYQinl(this);return false;" href="http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Dick+Cheney"][FONT color=#000000]Dick Cheney[/FONT][/A][/SPAN] accidentally shot and wounded a 78-year-old man while hunting for quail on a ranch in Texas, U.S. television networks reported on Sunday.

----

NRA campaign boy! Perhaps the VP needs a new pair of glasses? Or lessons on how to handle a shot gun??
"People Who Don't Make a Commitment to Me Don't Get My Time" - Annonymous CEO

Ooops

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President [span style="font-style: italic;" class="yqlink"][a class="yqimgins" title="Related information on Dick Cheney" onclick="activateYQinl(this);return false;" href="http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Dick+Cheney"][font color="#000000"]Dick Cheney[/font][/a][/span] accidentally shot and wounded a 78-year-old man while hunting for quail on a ranch in Texas, U.S. television networks reported on Sunday.

LOL! What a Dick (Cheney). Of course, depending on who it was, it may not have been an accident....

Would it be wrong of me to want the president to go hunting with Cheney sometime?

Future Canadian

Wish he had to take a mandatory gun safety class. What a little man.
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Sportsdude

Fox News is such an ass that the news readers haven't admitted that he shot someone. Instead they are saying the victim got hit with hunting spray.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Admin

the victim got hit with hunting spray.

Lol, that's such a cute, friendly term, I wonder why the cops never use it.

"Hunting spray" my ass. That's like saying the Titanic had a problem with 'ice-buildup'.
I don't live on the edge, but sometimes I go there to visit.

Sportsdude

Or the Zepplin had an "air malfunction."

Newshound

[h1] Cheney accidentally shoots fellow hunter[/h1][h1]'Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good'[/h1][p style="text-align: left;"][img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/POLITICS/02/12/cheney.ap/vert.whittington.file.ap.jpg" alt="vert.whittington.file.ap.jpg" border="0" height="242" width="220"][!--===========/IMAGE===========--][!--===========CAPTION==========--]
[/p][p style="text-align: left;"]Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old lawyer,
was in stable condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.[/p][b style="font-size: 14px;"]CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) -- VicePresident Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a companion duringa weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, spraying the fellow hunter inthe face and chest with shotgun pellets.[/b][/p]Harry Whittington, amillionaire attorney from Austin, was in stable condition in theintensive care unit of a Corpus Christi hospital Sunday, said YvonneWheeler, spokeswoman for the Christus Spohn Health System.[/p]Theaccident occurred Saturday at a ranch in south Texas where the vicepresident and several companions were hunting quail. It was notreported publicly by the vice president's office for nearly 24 hours,and then only after it was reported locally by the Corpus ChristiCaller-Times on its Web site Sunday.[/p]Katharine Armstrong, theranch's owner, said Sunday that Cheney was using a 28-guage shotgun andthat Whittington was about 30 yards away when he was hit in the cheek,neck and chest.[/p]Each of the hunters was wearing a bright orangevest at the time, Armstrong told reporters at the ranch about 60 milessouthwest of Corpus Christi. She said Whittington was "alert and doingfine."[/p][a name="1"][/a][a name="rv1"][/a][h3]'Vice president didn't see him'[/h3]Armstrongtold The Associated Press that emergency personnel traveling withCheney tended to Whittington before an ambulance -- routinely on callbecause of the vice president's presence -- took him to the hospital.[/p]Cheney'sspokeswoman, Lea Anne McBride, said the vice president met withWhittington at the hospital on Sunday. Cheney "was pleased to see thathe's doing fine and in good spirits," she said.[/p]Armstrong saidshe was watching from a car while Cheney, Whittington and anotherhunter got out of the vehicle to shoot at a covey of quail.[/p]Whittingtonshot a bird and went to retrieve it in the tall grass, while Cheney andthe third hunter walked to another spot and discovered a second covey.[/p]Whittington"came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn'tsignal them or indicate to them or announce himself," Armstrong said.[/p]"Thevice president didn't see him," she continued. "The covey flushed andthe vice president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. Andby God, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good."[/p]Whittingtonhas been a private practice attorney in Austin since 1950 and has longbeen active in Texas Republican politics. He's been appointed toseveral state boards, including when then-Gov. George W. Bush named himto the Texas Funeral Service Commission.[/p]McBride did not commentabout why the vice president's office did not tell reporters about theaccident until the next day. She referred the question to Armstrong,who could not be reached again Sunday evening.[/p]Armstrong, ownerof the Armstrong Ranch where the accident occurred, said Whittingtonwas bleeding after he was shot and Cheney was very apologetic.[/p]"Itbroke the skin," she said of the shotgun pellets. "It knocked himsilly. But he was fine. He was talking. His eyes were open. It didn'tget in his eyes or anything like that.[/p]"Fortunately, the vicepresident has got a lot of medical people around him and so they wereright there and probably more cautious than we would have been," shesaid. "The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so theambulance came."[/p]Cheney is an avid hunter who makes annual tripsto South Dakota to hunt pheasants. He also travels frequently toArkansas to hunt ducks, among other places.[/p]Armstrong said Cheneyis a longtime friend who comes to the ranch to hunt about once a yearand is "a very safe sportsman." She said Whittington is a regular, too,but she thought it was the first time the two men hunted together.[/p]"This is something that happens from time to time. You know, I've been peppered pretty well myself," said Armstrong.[/p]The50,000-acre Armstrong ranch has been in the influential south Texasfamily since the turn of the last century. Katharine is the daughter ofTobin Armstrong, a politically connected rancher who has been a guestat the White House and spent 48 years as director of the Texas andSouthwestern Cattle Raisers Association. He died in October. Cheney wasamong the dignitaries who attended his funeral.[/p]Cheney waslegally hunting with a license he purchased in November, Texas Parksand Wildlife Department spokesman Steve Lightfoot said. The vicepresident flew back to Washington on Sunday evening, according to hisoffice.[/p][hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]The important questions raised by this hunting accident are:1) *Are* lawyers in season right now?
2) Was the lawyer at least a 4-point?
3) Was Cheney within his permit limit?
4) Was the Cheney aide misquoted about the lawyer's hunting suit havinga target on the back, or that he'd bought it at Target a while back?
5) Will Disney adapt this into a cartoon about a baby lawyer having to adjust to living in the wild without his parent?
6) Is this what you should expect if you don't contribute enough to a political reelection fund in the future?[/p]

49er

[A href="http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2006/02/14/national/a103148S06.DTL"]Hunter Shot by Cheney Has Heart Attack[/A] [FONT size=2][/FONT]
[FONT face=geneva,arial size=1]- By LYNN BREZOSKY and NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writers
[/FONT][FONT face=geneva,arial size=-2]Tuesday, February 14, 2006
[/FONT](02-14) 11:15 PST Corpus Christi, Texas (AP) -- The 78-year-old lawyer who was shot by Vice President Dick Cheney in a hunting accident has some birdshot lodged in his heart and he had "a minor heart attack" Tuesday morning, hospital officials said.

The victim, Harry Whittington, was immediately moved back to the intensive care unit for further treatment, said Peter Banko, the administrator at Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial in Texas.

Banko said there was an irregularity in the heartbeat caused by a pellet, and doctors performed a cardiac catheterization. Whittington expressed a desire to leave the hospital, but Banko said he would probably stay for another week to make sure more shot doesn't move to other organs or to other part of his body.

"Some of the birdshot appears to have moved and lodged into part of his heart in what we would say is a minor heart attack," Banko said in a news conference outside the hospital.

David Blanchard, chief of emergency care, called it "a silent heart attack, an asymptomatic heart attack. He's not had a heart attack in the traditional sense."

The doctors said Whittington did not experience symptoms of a heart attack or any other problems. They left the birdshot in place and said he could live a healthy life with it there.

White House physicians who attended to Whittington at the scene after Cheney accidentally shot him were involved in the treatment, the officials said.

Whittington had initially been placed in intensive care after the accident Saturday evening. He had been moved to a "step-down unit" Monday after doctors decided to leave several birdshot pellets lodged in his skin rather than try to remove them.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife Department report issued Monday said Whittington was retrieving a downed bird and stepped out of the hunting line he was sharing with Cheney. "Another covey was flushed and Cheney swung on a bird and fired, striking Whittington in the face, neck and chest at approximately 30 yards," the report said.

The department found the main factor contributing to the accident was a "hunter's judgment factor." No other secondary factors were found to have played a role.

The department gave Cheney and Whittington warning citations for breaking Texas hunting law by failing to buy a $7 stamp allowing them to shoot upland game birds. A department spokesman said warnings are being issued in most cases because the stamp requirement only went into effect five months ago and many hunters weren't aware of it.

Cheney's office said Monday night in a statement that Cheney had a $125 nonresident hunting license and has sent a $7 check to cover the cost of the stamp. "The staff asked for all permits needed, but was not informed of the $7 upland game bird stamp requirement," the statement said.

Cheney, an experienced hunter, has not said anything publicly about the accident. It was fodder for jokes on late night TV and early Tuesday at the White House, before news surfaced about problems with Whittington's heart.

Hospital officials said they notified the White House of the change in Whittington's condition late in the morning. The mood of press secretary Scott McClellan was much more serious in an afternoon press briefing shortly before the hospital publicly updated Whittington's condition.

Katharine Armstrong, owner of the ranch where the shooting occurred, said Whittington made a mistake by not announcing that he had walked up to rejoin the hunting line after going to retrieve his bird, and Cheney didn't see him as he tried to down a bird.

The accident raised questions about Cheney's adherence to hunting safety practices and the White House's failure to disclose the accident in a timely way.

Several hunting safety experts agreed in interviews that it would have been a good idea for Whittington to announce himself. But every expert stressed that the shooter is responsible for avoiding other people.

Bush was told about Cheney's involvement in the accident shortly before 8 p.m. Saturday — about an hour after it occurred — but the White House did not disclose the accident until Sunday afternoon, and then only in response to press questions.

tenkani

You know, the finest humor IMO has you vacillating between horror and uncontrollable giggling. I mean, you aren't supposed to laugh when grandpa gets blasted in the face with a 12 gauge but...
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

Well he should have had gun training in the service for 'nam. Oh wait he had 5 defferants.